Thursday, May 12, 2011

Job search

Thank you Respectable Boutique Firm for bothering with a first class mail rejection letter.
I interviewed in some other firms which couldn't be bothered with the same courtesy. How rude! 

Here's a breakdown:

Job search: February 28 - May 11
Interviewed: 7 (NYC 3; DC 1; Boston* 1;  Dallas* 1; CA* 1)
Rejection letter received: 1 (NY)
Never heard from again: 3 (DC, Dallas, NY)
Firms which have yet to make a decision: 2 (Boston, CA)
Job I turned down: 1 (NY)

* by phone


I've sent thank you emails to each of the attorneys who interviewed me. One week after the interview, I also sent follow-up emails to HR or the attorney contact. I heard back once from Dallas HR that the attorneys still hadn't made a decision-- that was in March. They've since reposted the job ad, which clearly means I didn't get the job.

Washington DC
The DC firm isn't really in DC, but in a DC suburb. I can't believe I bothered my cousin to pick me up at the Metro station, drive me to my interview, wait for me for 1.5 hours, treat me and my friend to early dinner, then drive us back to the Metro station, for nothing! I took the Greyhound bus from NYC to DC. The least those suburb attys could do was to email me a rejection letter. How very rude of them not to! I didn't bother calling them after my default follow-up email one week from the interview. To think the senior attorney told me (as he ushered me out of his office), to talk to the managing attorney about my salary. But the managing atty did not make an offer. He discussed the job duties, what his vision was for the position, the health coverage the office has and then said, "I will contact you." Throughout the interview, he cannot understand why I would choose to stay in suburbia after I've passed the NY bar. Well Mr. Managing Atty., I didn't pass the bar. Even if I did, would I have applied to your firm if I wasn't sincere in wanting to work there? I traveled to your suburbia firm on my own dime, and you doubt my desire to get the job?!

California
The CA company (not a law firm) emailed me two days ago that they are still slowly going through all the applicants. The Director also hoped that I am doing well. I didn't reply to his email. May be I don't really want to work there?

Boston
The Boston firm replied to my email inquiry for an update two days ago. They said that the partners are meeting at the end of this week to make a decision. I asked the Boston HR to keep me posted on the hiring decision, whether good or bad.

New York
In NYC, I applied for 3 firms and interviewed with all 3. One already sent me a rejection letter. Another firm I've never head from again (I didn't send my default follow-up email one week after the interview. The position was more administrative than a Law Clerk/Paralegal job.)  The third firm, I rejected. Yea, I know, I don't really have the luxury to reject offers, but I did. Actually no formal offer has been made, but an offer was definitely coming. The hiring partner (HP) would have hired me on the spot but wanted to check with my ex-boss first, before making the offer. The HP would have contacted my ex-boss right there, but I said I would like to inform my ex-boss to anticipate a call from the HP. I told the HP I would contact my ex-boss in the morning and then I would email her my ex-boss' contact details. Well, when I woke up the next morning, I've decided I don't want the HP to even bother contacting my boss, as I knew I would be miserable working for the HP. I withdrew my job application. There was no point in wasting more time contacting my ex-boss, then drafting an offer, which I would just reject. I interviewed with the HP for 3 hours. My stomach was croaking loudly and she still did not end the interview. I knew then that that job would be the death of me. I would write a better account of this interview in a separate entry. This much I know, I should have charged the HP a fee for my services as a stand-in therapist. She just vented all her firm's troubles to me. Didja honestly think I would sign on and share your misery? No, thank you.

So there you have it, 7 interviews, with no real job prospect. Life sucks. Sometimes I wonder, since I am pretty average anyway, why can't I just have mediocre dreams? Why can't I settle for a good enough job that pays the bills? Why do I want a job that I would be really happy with?

Possible interview: Small firm in Southern California
Oh, there's another firm in CA that recently showed initial interest, until they learned that I am still living in NYC. The firm's email to me was, "Your background is impressive. Can you please email us a short, recent work that you prepared by yourself. How soon can you be in CA? We hope you're already here visiting. Do you still have 3 years left on your H-1B?" I responded to the CA firm within 2 hours of receiving their email. The next day, I was on high alert for all incoming emails/calls. But the CA firm did not even send an acknowledgment email. At around 7.30p.m. (Eastern), I called their office to ask if they wanted me to come by for an interview. (My email response to them had a 1.5mb attachment. I was concerned that my sample work went straight to their spam folder, hence I decided to call.) I said I needed to know ASAP since I would have to finalize travel arrangements. The Receptionist/Secretary/Paralegal placed me on hold (probably checked with the partner), then haughtily said, "Not at this time. We're still going through the other applications. We will let you know BY EMAIL if you would be invited for an interview."

Yikes. I thanked her and said goodbye. You see Ms. Receptionist/Secretary/Paralegal, I know you  must be allergic to calls from job applicants, but I wouldn't have called if your firm replied to my email. In my email, I asked when you wanted me to come by. I said I could fly this week and attend an interview on Thursday or Friday. I also said that I am open to an initial phone interview and thereafter an in-person interview. But I never heard a peep from you. You can't just tell an applicant, "how soon can you be in CA" and then leave her hanging! My cover letter was clear about my desire to relocate to somewhere warmer. I was ready to shell out $500+ to cover my trip to CA, because I was serious about getting the job you advertised. Ms. Receptionist/Secretary/Paralegal, it would be best to use a friendlier tone to job applicants like me. One day, a random job applicant might have your job OR might be your boss. 

I need a job SOON! Preferably not in NYC, but I'd take any reasonable job I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment