Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rejection letter

I received my first rejection letter today from a NY firm. I interviewed with an Associate in late April, who told me that she was conducting the first round of interviews then a second round will be done by the Partner. I never made it to the second. I don't exactly know why, as I believe I had an excellent interview with the Associate. Did I ask for too much money? Was doing an H-1B sponsorship too much? I could only surmise that there were candidates more qualified than me, who asked for less money and who did not require H-1Bs. Nonetheless, I am impressed that the firm actually snail mailed me a rejection letter.

==============================================
From: Respectable boutique firm
To: FJD
Please accept our heartfelt thanks for taking the time to visit our office. Your resume and credentials were outstanding, and meeting you in person confirmed our high expectations of your experience, skill and professionalism.

Unfortunately, we must inform you that the paralegal position has been filled. The large number of highly qualified individuals who responded to our job posting has forced us to pass on several applicants who undoubtedly would have made a strong asset to our office.

While we understand this is (sic) may not be the news you had anticipated, we are highly confident that you will continue to find success as an immigration paralegal, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Very truly yours,
Partner, Respectable boutique firm


===================================================

To: Partner, Respectable boutique firm
CC: Associate
From: FJD

I received your letter dated May 10, stating that the paralegal position I applied for had been filled. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to let me know about your hiring decision. Your courtesy has earned you major points in my book. Not that it should concern you, but at least know that should any occasion discussing your firm arise, I would highly speak of your hiring etiquette. I also wanted to thank you for having confidence in my continued success as an immigration paralegal. Although I appreciate such a generous well-wishing, I would like to let you know that I intend to be an "esq." soon. I understand that the "esq." does not necessarily mean an increased in salary and greater job prospects for me, but I want you to take note nonetheless. Please, please, do not jinx the exam I am taking in July.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
FJD

No comments:

Post a Comment