Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Job found!!!

I have accepted an offer! (Nope, not the $36k offer I wrote about in my previous entry.) I had a second interview on Monday in a small Manhattan firm and received an offer. I don't even know if I can call it an interview, since the Partner's mind seemed to have been pretty made up even before I sat in his office. Must have really made a good impression on my first interview with a different member of the firm. Hooray!

Yesterday, I accepted the offer by email. I should have called, but I was thinking the Partner was really busy and looked flustered when I interviewed, I didn't want to risk breaking his concentration with my uncontainable excitement. I was beginning to worry when it was already past 5p.m. and I still hadn't received an email response. Luckily by 6p.m., I received a confirmation email from the Partner. It's true then! I wasn't just imagining things or inventing that I received an offer. (If I don't see it in writing, I become doubtful. LOL.) I somewhat rushed my acceptance email yesterday because the $36k firm emailed me to ask about my decision.

After I emailed my acceptance of the NYC offer, I then emailed $36k firm to let them know that I am declining their offer. The $36k firm asked me if I have already accepted an offer. My curiosity was piqued, would they be countering? I told the $36k firm that I was about to accept another offer. Then, it got weird and slightly in bad taste. $36k firm sent a follow-up email and asked me if I was accepting the other offer because the other firm gave me the salary I proposed. Hmmm, I don't know if it's just me, but I do think it was unprofessional for them to effectively ask me what my salary would be. I told HR of the $36k firm that I am not able to comment on that as such matter is confidential. Why did they even ask?!

Anyway, I am so happy now to not be looking for a job. I suppose it would take a while for me to completely stop visiting job sites because I've been so used to searching various job boards all day for the past 6 months. I started my job search in March and received two job offers in August. I slowed down my search in June and July because of the bar exam.  (I could actually have been employed as early as May, but I don't think that firm would have been a good match for me.)

I am eager to start working next month! Right now, we are still preparing my new H-1B petition. I hope everything goes well.








No comments:

Post a Comment