Thursday, September 1, 2011

Failures, blessings, waiting and uncertainties

I haven't been doing so well keeping a blog. Well, blogS really, since I have about three, two of which I planned to update quite regularly. It's not as if I am too busy with anything, like a job, which I have yet to receive authorization to commence. Anyway, my thoughts are a jumble and so I will present some random things here:

1. A while back, I survived an earthquake and hurricane Irene. Both were quite uneventful really, which I am thankful for.

2. Maine was peaceful and gorgeous. The tour group was hilarious. There was even a bit of a scandal.

3. I decided not to follow-up with my employer about the H-1B petition. They did say they would let me know when they've filed it. I was just being antsy, like most clients are I suppose. But, the employer emailed me last Thursday and said that they've filed it.

4. Normally, time flies. Now that I am waiting 15 days, it can't speed up any faster.

5. I interviewed with a Big Law firm once (in March). It was for a "seniorish" legal support. They knew I was a foreign attorney, and that I intend to be licensed in the U.S. sometime. They were very nice but I choked. I interviewed with about 5 partners. I didn't just choke, I choked massively. I must have looked nice on paper, but the interview was a disaster. I was overwhelmed.

6. I interviewed with a pharma company for an in-house position around May or June. I had to wait for 1.5hours. I really wanted to leave, but the company was in Long Island. I didn't want to reschedule and have to commute again to their office. I bombed that interview. I was in no mindset to speak about my background, nor did I summon enough interest about the company after waiting 1.5 hours. The moment was lost.

7. The pharma company (in #6) called to schedule my interview about 10 minutes to 5p.m. on a Friday afternoon. The interview was for the following Monday. I told the caller I'd call back in a few minutes, just to make sure I could get a car. I had no idea the office was in Long Island. (I didn't recognize the city/town name.) I just applied for the job in Monster. I had jobs I applied to without bothering with a cover letter. I just send my resume. For all I knew the pharma office was close to Albany?! Anyway, I checked Zipcar and got a car. Called back pharma company in less than 5 minutes. No one answered, so I left a voicemail. I took the LIRR and a taxi, instead of a Zipcar. Come interview time, I was asked about my problem getting to their office because I didn't have a car. Seriously? What percentage of NYCers have cars? Of course I planned on getting some beat up, used car if I ended up working in Long Island. But anyway, as I've said, the moment was lost.

8. When I was nearing desperation, I followed-up with a shitlaw firm in Los Angeles, which initially showed strong interest in me, then fell from the face of the earth. (Though a shitlaw firm, the partner had received a "Super Lawyer" award for three years or so.) I sent that firm an email saying that we were in touch before and I wanted to check in with them. I reconveyed my interest and lauded all my "accomplishments." I said I could be the ideal match to the position they sought to fill; all I was requesting was 5 minutes of their time. I scored a telephone interview, but nothing more.

9. I am starting to annoy myself. I know full well the USCIS process for H-1B petitions. Been there, done that. But I just want some assurance that everything would go well. I am hoping they will just approve the petition immediately. My last H-1B was approved in less than 5 days. Can't help but ask my friend (also a foreign atty, who passed the Feb 2010 NY Bar) how long it is currently taking the Vermont Service Center to process H-1Bs. She said she was just like me before, when her firm did her H-1B. She knew the process, but can't help but ask the attorney (colleague) who filed her petition. If I were prone to biting my nails, I'd have very little nails left. (Good thing I've never been a nail biter!)

10. I should put Melissa Lawson's "What If It All Goes Right" on loop on my ipod. Found out about that song from The Today Show early this year. Hoda said the song played over and over during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Think positive, positive, positive! (I am generally super optimistic about other people's affairs, but not mine.)


11. My mom reminded me to review a contract which she has been waiting on for a few months now. Sheesh, she must think it is useless to have an attorney daughter. It takes me ages to do anything law related for my family.

12. I love Betty White! (And Hot In Cleveland!) I finished her book "If You Ask Me: (And Of Course You Won't)" while I was cramming for the bar exam. My recent/current reads: Freakonomics/ Outliers / poetry (various).

13. Yesterday, I saw BBC's "The Code" parts 1 and 2. (I'll watch part 3 maybe later.) Why couldn't have I just been a math whiz?! I could be in a very different field like engineering and possibly, better employed.

I am ending this random listing at 13-- just like the cicadas' 13-year cycle in Tennessee. Watch BBC's "The Code" pronto!


Excerpt: A Psalm of Life


Tell me not in mournful numbers,
"Life is but an empty dream!"
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
"Dust thou art, to dust returnest,"
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us further than to-day.
Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labour and to wait.

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



2 comments:

  1. FJD, I see you like this Henry Wadsworth Longfellow fellow. I've never heard of him but I'm not a big literary guy. Good words still.
    We've all had those interviews where we wish could have done better. I had an interview where I already knew I wasn't going to get the job. It was pretty embarrassing answering I have little or no experience in the area they practice. I tried to save myself by answering I would work diligently to learn but they weren't having any of it.
    Speaking of keeping a blog, my main blog has been shut down for now. It was marked by google as a spam blog but I requested them to restore it. Just more things to pile on haha! But hey like you said, it doesn't rain forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just getting back to reading nowadays. I think my "literary" stage ended after high school. By the time I was in college, I was more of a "current affairs" person than "classics." I'm glad I live close to a library (then again, they're all over NYC), because I could just request for books/media online and walk over to pick it up.

    Hmm, what's up with Google?! I wonder why they removed your blog. I hope it goes back up soon! Hang in there JDA! There are a lot of us young hopefuls, I'm sure one by one our stories would change for the better! But for good measure, here goes: Rain, rain go away, come again another...hmmm...don't come again for a while!!!

    ReplyDelete