Friday, September 23, 2011

Royally f*cked!

I just found out that my work visa petition was denied. I have to leave the U.S. immediately. I am leaving this weekend. I have a ton of packing to do.

USCIS screwed up. Apparently, a Law Clerk position is not a specialty occupation. A Law Clerk = a paralegal, a position that does not require at least a Bachelor's degree. I was hired as a Law Clerk since I have not yet passed the bar. I was a previous Law Clerk on an H-1B. Now that a comparable firm has hired me, in a similar capacity, suddenly, my position is not a "specialty occupation." I always knew that USCIS could be arbitrary. But its arbitrariness has not screwed me before. Until now.


I shall be ending this blog as there is no more reason for me to keep it. I will have no adventures nor misadventures in the US, since I will not be in the US. I have to pack up almost 5 years of my life in two days. I do not know what kind of career I would be coming home to since I have been away for long. Going through a job search again will definitely be a pain. But at least once I find a suitable job, I could start immediately and would not require any work authorization in my country.


I am an honorable person and I do not intend to violate any laws. I know immigration is a hot topic right now. But by golly, so this is how it feels like to not have any lawful status. At this very moment, I am an illegal alien. I haven't even been in the US my entire life and still it hurts to suddenly have my life in disarray and to say goodbye forever. I can't even imagine how those people who came here very young go through their lives knowing that they do not have lawful status. I wanted to be a person who can help those people--to fulfill their dreams and the dreams of their families. It totally sucks that I could not even help myself. I am a well-educated, qualified person with integrity, and Uncle Sam shut me out.

Lord, grant me the strength to weather this storm. Bless me with the gift of acceptance and discernment that everything happens for a reason. I know life is going to be okay. Right now though, it is not. I need the strength to overcome and to start again.

To all foreign JDs in the U.S., and to everyone else looking for a job or searching for your place in the world, I wish us all the best of luck. Be strong and carry on!

1 comment:

  1. I really don't know what to say because I can't imagine being in your position. I'm fairly new to this whole blogging world but I feel as if I'm losing a friend. Being shut out from jobs and all plus you leaving is like the light at the end of the tunnel becoming dimmer. Godspeed to everything you do. Pass by sometime ok?

    ReplyDelete